Sunday, September 03, 2006

Some scratches from my pencil

This post is simply cut and paset from long back written junks in my homepage.





























At the age of 10/11, I started drawing just to learn drawing. At that time, I was not at all good in drawing. But used to spend time for that. But my dad was encouraging me through out those days. Gradually I became good in drawing. Of course my hand-writing was considered as very good from the beginning (not now due to alternative as typing on key board). After class-VII, I almost left this habit. But I was very much innovative in decorating and highly demanded during the college functions. Those days I was concentrating on making posters, banners and decorating stage.
While I was studying in IIT Bombay, once day I saw a TV interview of Panna Verma, a popular artist of Mumbai. Just 2/3 days later, I was returning from CST by local train with one of my friend. I saw his interview on Mid-Day paper, where I got his address. Immediately I told to my friend “Hey, I need to meet this person”. I left my friend on the way and directly went to him. After talking for a while, Panna told me to come on another day. He also told me that he would take fee 300 bucks per class of 2/3 hour at his residence. Next day, when I came to his residence, he gave me a photograph and told me to draw. I tried to draw. After 5 mins, he saw my drawing. It was such that I was ashamed to show him. He told me "U will take atleast 1 year to come up to a standard level". After that he started the same picture to draw. And he pointed me how to take care of different things during drawing. He sketched the portrait accurately with in 20min . After that he told me to draw the same picture. Then he left outside and retuned back after around 1 hr. When he returned back, he saw my picture and told me that I had struggled around 1 year to reach to this stage and u have learnt it within 1 hr. In fact, my drawing was better than his. He was really happy on me and he didn't accept any money from me. From that day, we became friend and when I get time, I used to go and meet him just to see his drawings.
When you start drawing a portrait, at first you need to concentrate. If you feel that now you are calm enough to find that there is only one thing in your mind i.e. the picture, then you are set to do. See the face/picture of the person. Try to get different views from different angles. Find out all distingusihed shape and size of different parts of the face. You need to find out the significant marks in the face, which makes him/her recognised by others. Captured all these in your mind and then just close your mind. Now try to imagine a face having all these unique shapes. If you could do it, the picture is half way done. Now map this imaginative face into the paper. Scale up/down the imaginative picture into the 1/2 of paper size. Now start drawing from EYE. This is the only thing that Panna tought me within 5 min , which made me equivalent to a year-old artist with in one hour.
About art, I shall tell u one thing. For good painting it's not mandatory to use good paper or pencil but good imagination. And from an art, it's senseless to find error. Any art is representation of an expression on a particulr time, situation and angle. May not be the usual view, but definitely a view. In fact from an art, u shouldn't see the work done at arts, rather try to understand the expression of the artist.
I basically give emphasis on portraits and don't invest time more than 1 hour per portrait. I have given some of my arts to some friends. The rest, u can see below. Yaa, I never participated in any competition because I don't do it as my profession but as my hobby.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So nice!

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home